Originally known as Kimpton, the elegant home of the Abel family, the founders of the ETA Foods business empire, the current home of MetroRehab has played a number of roles since it was built in 1908.
- In the 1930s and 1940s it was used as a boarding house before being converted into an acute surgical facility known as Castlewood Hospital. In 1979 Castlewood Hospital underwent a major redevelopment, adding a new wing.
- In 1983, Castlewood was granted accreditation by the Australian Council on Hospital Standards and continued as a surgical hospital until 1989.
- On 26th of January 1990 the hospital was rededicated as the Brain Injury and Research Centre, a brief episode in this building’s history that on the 4th of April saw it officially re-opened as a dedicated rehabilitation facility, the Castlewood Rehabilitation Hospital.
- In 2001 the current owners purchased and then upgraded this facility and the modern day MetroRehab Hospital was established.